Monday, April 22, 2013

I prayed a lot this past week, probably more than I ever have in my entire life, but probably less than I will. Puerto hasn´t received rain in quite some time, and in my prayers, I asked for that rain. On Thursday, we were going to drop off the baptismal record papers at Daffne´s grandmother´s house (she is a member) because her parents need to sign it in order for her to get baptized. For one reason or another, her parents kept dropping their appointments with us to sign the papers, so thats why we were giving the papers to her grandmother to hold on to, in hopes that her parents could sign them when they picked up Daffne. Well, on our way (its about 2.5 miles from our house) it began raining. It was beautiful. Hermana Cruz ran towards a member´s house and kept saying we needed to wait till the storm passed. I insisted that we keep going to Gladys´ house to take the papers. Finally she said "okay, gringa. vamos pues." As we walked, the rain got harder and harder, and I began laughing, singing and dancing. Hermana Cruz gave in and followed my lead. It was rejuvenating to feel the rain on my skin and to have that nourishment. When we arrived to Gladys´ house, would you guess who was there? Daffne´s mom was there waiting out the storm! We sat down and spoke with her about Daffne´s choice to be baptized, and we gave her the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet that explains the standards for the youth of the church. She was very supportive, but said she would not sign the papers without her husband´s approval. Well, he works a lot in far off cities, so we weren´t sure when that would happen. We asked her to give the papers to her husband to review, and invited her to share the pamphlet with her husband. Well, blessings were not finished coming our way, because within the next 30 seconds, Daffne´s dad pulled up in a taxi. We shared the message with him, too. We prayed with them. I gave them my testimony that I know that the gospel with help Daffne be a better student, daughter, sister, and disciple of Christ. It was an unforgettable moment. AND her parents signed the papers! Everything is set, and Daffne will be baptized on May 4 if everything keeps going at this rate! Pray for her!
We had another experience this week with a 87 year old woman named Andrea. She is an evangelist, and her daughter is a pastor in another church here. She has a sweet little smile, and a cute laugh. We asked if we could sing a hymn for her. I chose to sing "Abide With Me, Tis Eventide". When we finished singing, Andrea began to weep. She said she has been sad for a long time, but when she listened to the words of the hymn, that sadness left her. It was neat to see the influence of the Spirit so directly like that!
On Friday night, one of the members in our branch asked us to come speak to some of her family members. Her father died a month ago, and said it would be a good opportunity for us to teach the Plan of Salvation. When she said "some" family members, she actually meant over 30. No big deal. We taught the lessons, and we promised this family that they would see their uncle, brother, son, father, and friend again through the perfect plan that God has given us.
Well, yesterday I was asked to give a talk in sacrament meeting, and I spoke about the Atonement. Its amazing that I have the same feelings and testimony of Christ and His infinite goodness in two languages. I am grateful for the support of my companion and my branch. I couldnt have given that talk without the help of the people here, and of course without the gift of tongues that i am developing more and more every day. 
I love the Lord. I really do. and I love all of you! 
-Hermana Bond

(the picture is after we walked 2 hours in the rain. you cant really tell, but i was soaking wet! fun stuff.)