Monday, November 11, 2013

Joseph and Heavenly Father

"we see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever. althought we may settle for less, Heavenly Father wont, for He sees us as glorious beings we are capable of becoming."


I testify that our Father in Heaven knows us; our prayers, our desires, our needs, and our heart's cry. He knows the precise moment to save us from our trials and doubts. He came to the rescue quite clearly this week, through the words of a member of my ward where I am serving.

"Hermana Bond, the best compliment I received on my mission was when someone told me that they wished their children would become missionaries like I was. Today I want to tell you that I hope my daughters become like you."

Inadequacy often enters our hearts due to much self-relfection, and feeling the weight of what we know we should do and what we aren't doing. I felt the direct love of God as this member took the time to plant that blessing in the soil of my heart. The reality of the gospel sinks deeper into my heart and mind each day. 

Even though we are often harder on ourselves than we should be, we can take comfort in the Savior. Joseph Smith was a wonderful example to me this week of this very principle. When translating the Book of Mormon, he permitted Martin Harris to take the translation to show to his family, even though the Lord had told him not to. When the 116 pages that Martin Harris took were lost, he returned to the Prophet Joseph to tell him that he had lost the manuscript. Joseph's first reaction was, "OH! My God, my God. All is lost, is lost!" He spent a time rebuking himself, then facing the consequences of the Lord. He earnestly repented and sought the Lord's approval to begin translating again. After a time more, the Lord restored the translating privileges to Joseph and the prophet rejoiced. He said:
"...God was pleased with my faithfulness and humility, and loved me for my penitence and diligence in prayer. I am now fortified by the sweet feelings of receiving the Lord's forgiveness and a renewed determination to do His will."

I chime my testimony in with that of Joseph Smith's--
Our God is pleased when we are faithful to His commandments, when we humble ourselves to do His will, and when we use the free gift of the Atonement of Jesus Christ to leave behind our sins and walk uprightly before Him.

i love you all.